Benefits of Signing with Your Baby
By Lora Heller, Founding Director, Baby Fingers LLC
- Sing and sign together. Music helps with memory and attention, and signs provide a means through which self-expression can develop.
- Read books together while signing key words. Sign language helps with literacy attainment and growth in vocabulary.
- Play Freeze Dance – sign “dance” and “stop” (or start/stop, dance/freeze, stop/go) throughout. Sign language and music aid in development of coordination and spatial reasoning skills.
- Take a walk and sign what you see. Signing things around your neighborhood helps your child create labels for favorite things and familiar places.
- Blow bubbles. Then see how many words you can think of to say and sign that start with the letter B (for bubbles). Try other letters too. Signing increases vocabulary and motivates speech.